**Girl on the Blog**

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

...if I had signed the contract

My whole life I have lived in Tennessee. Although, I have visited almost all 50 states, there is nothing like home sweet home...Tennessee. Growing up so close to Nashville, I grew up with country music roots. I can remember when I was a little girl... dancing on my mothers feet to the "rocking" tunes of Alabama, The Oak Ridge Boys, Hank Williams Sr. and I could go on and on...

I grew up with my family pushing me to be a musician. I took professional singing lessons and piano lessons from the time I was 9 years old until I was 18 years old. I traveled from state to state singing at churches, conventions, reunions, etc....

One of the best memories I have from my singing tours... is when the "Gulf War" was going on... I, and a group I was singing with, were standing on the steps down below the "Lincoln Memorial" in Washington D.C. .... Straight in front of us was the "Washington Monument" and to the left of us was "The Wall"... No one was paying us that much attention ... UNTIL... we started singing "Battle Hymn of the Republic"... A crowd of people...black, white, yellow, brown... surrounded us... Women and Men crying... tears filled my eyes... I just knew we were not going to get through the song but we did... As long as I live I will never forget that feeling I had at that very moment... I was so proud to be an American....

At the age of 16 years old a life long dream came true... I performed at the Grand Ole Opry. I sang back up for Amy Grant, Vince Gill, Gary Chapman and Michael W. Smith... I also performed with the Nashville Symphony. I cannot describe to you how terrified I was. I knew from that day forward my life would never be the same... and it was not.


I went on to do back up for Donna Summers on her 1995 Christmas Album. I did a few back up tracks at Amy Grant's studio on her farm. I was offered a recording contract with a "Big Name" record label in 1999... BUT... life has a funny way of working out. The music world is a cruel world if you do not want to play by their rules. I began to realize, the career that I had worked so long for was not what my life had in store for me. I was 22 and my dreams were crushed just because I wanted rights to my songs and wanted rights to the way I looked...

Needless to say, I walked away from the world of music and have not looked back...

Okay, okay... Yeah... sometimes I wonder what might have been... but "what might have been" is not "what is"... and "What is"... is wonderful! I continue to sing in my hometown and surrounding cities... I haven't given up music completely. The memories I have of all I have accomplished with my music is something I am very proud of... but I wouldn't trade my life now for what might have been if I had signed the contract.

Until we meet again...

Posted by Girl on the Blog :: 12:25 PM :: 2 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------