**Girl on the Blog**

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

...his girl named Sue

To understand this post you will have to know who Eugene is. Please refer back to
"His name is Eugene"

_________________________


"May I help ya?" the heavyset lady screeched while folding a white towel.

With a nervous twitch in my voice I answered, "Yes, mam. Ummm... I'm lookin fer Eugene."

"Which one?" she annoyingly huffed.

"Eugene Johnson."

With her 'southern hospitality' she snapped, "What da ya want with him?"

I held up a brown bag, "I'm here to feed em suppa."

"He's already eaten" she hastily snapped as though I had offended her.

I shrugged my shoulders and hung my head, "Well, I guess he can have this food fer lunch tomorra."

She sat down on an old blue ragged couch and grabbed a tattered washcloth out of a laundry basket, "He's up the stairs. First door on ya right."

While creaking along the rickety stairs, I couldn't help but notice the walls had been freshly painted a deep depressing grey. The cigarette burned, drink stained carpet was a hideous shade of green. I laughed to myself, "I wonder if the heavyset lady chose these colors?"

I made my way to the top of the stairs and as luck would have it, Eugene's door was open.

I tapped on the side of the door.

"Eugene! Eugene?!?" I quietly bellowed.

I caught a glimpse of him out of the corner of my right eye. He was sitting in a large dingy leather brown chair in front of a foggy window, a window in much need of a good cleaning. He was chewing on the end of a cigar, gazing into an unknown land.

He never said, "Come in." So I invited myself into his room. The walls were a brilliant shade of the same depressing grey and the carpets were just as bad, if not worse than the stair way.

"Eugene, I don't know if ya rememba me. I met ya this past Friday in front of Beasley's. Ya picked up my keys for me." I timidly explained as I bent down on my knees one foot from the right side of his chair.

I laid my purse down and sat the brown paper bag in front of me.

"I brought ya some suppa, but the lady downstairs said ya've already eaten. Maybe ya can have it for lunch tomorra. It's just some grilled chicken, brown rice and a baked potato I bought from the Heritage House. I didn't know if ya liked ya potato with butter or sour cream so I had em put it on the side."

He continued to stare out the window into the darkness with his hollowed filled eyes.

"I brought you a Christmas card. It has a picture of my son on the front. I thought ya might like to have it." My voice quivered, as I kept getting more and more nervous because he wouldn't respond.

I was in mid-sentence when he took the chewed up cigar out of his mouth and declared, "I don't like chicken."

Startled I replied, "Well what do ya like?"

"Macaroni and Cheese"

I chuckled out loud, "Out of all the foods I can't cook, Mac and Cheese is about the only thing that I can! Next time I come I'll have to bring ya a big bowl full, huh?"

He didn't answer. Instead he stuck the chewed up cigar back in his mouth and continued to stare into 'Never land'.

For ten minutes I rambled about everything and anything. Finally, after realizing he wasn't going to talk, I decided to give up. I proceeded to stand and leaned towards my purse that I had placed beside his chair.

Surprised, I felt a hand grab my arm. I looked up and there he was looking me straight in the eye. His hollowed filled eyes were now twinkling.

He smiled and whispered, "It's been a long, long time, Sue."

In the midst of being startled and not knowing what to say I blurted out "Oh, no sir, no sir! I'm not Sue. My name is Shayna. I met you this past Friday."

He stared at me, almost in disbelief, and then slowly turned his head back towards the window. He stuck the chewed up cigar back in his mouth and returned to the 'land far, far away'. The twinkle was gone and the hollow returned.

I grabbed my purse; almost embarrassed I assured him "Eugene, I'll be back before Christmas. Ya take care."

I walked out the door and down the stairs and left him in his own little world.


I started to cry on my way home. I didn't know if I had done the right thing by trying to befriend this lost soul. But... I kept on seeing his twinkling eyes. He was so happy when he thought I was the girl named Sue. Whoever this woman is/was, she obviously meant a lot to him, because I have never been looked at that way before.

I suppose that maybe I brought him a little happiness. His eyes did twinkle and for one brief moment he had left the land far, far away and I... I, momentarily, was his girl named Sue.

Until we meet again....

Permalink... http://girlontheblog.blogspot.com/2005/11/his-girl-named-sue.html

Posted by Girl on the Blog :: 9:32 PM :: 22 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------