**Girl on the Blog**

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Sex, Lies, Rock & Roll and Politics...

Sex:
Nothing really to write here... just wanted to get your attention. Did it work? Sex sells...right? I'm really not a tease... really!

Lies:
I really could tie in Politics here... but I shall refrain from doing so. I found this a little funny... I almost feel guilty that I thought this was funny... but I love Sarah Silverman... although I do not think it is funny to accuse a man falsely of rape no matter what the cause... her justification for this "it's all in the name of comedy"...

Full story here.


Silverman has a gift for inspiring absurdly instructive public controversy. Her most notorious fiasco occurred in 2001, when she told a joke on Late Night With Conan O'Brien that unapologetically hinged on the word "chink." This summer, she got into trouble in a venue that was supposed to be trouble-proof: The Aristocrats, a documentary that challenged 100 comedians to offend its audience as ingeniously as possible. While most of the comics went straight for the "piss-sh*t-suck-f*ck" paradigm, which very quickly became about as offensive as a newborn koala, Silverman turned the old-school joke against an iconic old-schooler. She implied, via an emotionally supercharged soliloquy full of loaded pauses, that she had been sexually abused by the 79-year-old show-business institution Joe Franklin. At the end, she looked straight into the camera and said, dead seriously, "Joe Franklin raped me" an anti-punch line that completely paralyzed the theater I was at. Instead of laughing, we were all stuck trying to decide whether this was some new species of joke or just plain old slander. When Franklin threatened to sue soon after the movie was released ("I didn't like the nature of that wisecrack"), it made the joke strangely better. Silverman was the only comic in the film who met the challenge of the joke: She pushed it too far.
Okay I lied... I have to throw this in...


In the Bush administration "the negation of truth is so systematic. Dishonest accounting, willful scientific illiteracy, bowdlerized federal fact sheets, payola paid to putative journalists, 'news' networks run by right-wing apparatchiks, think tanks devoted to propaganda rather than thought, the purging of intelligence gatherers and experts throughout the bureaucracy whose findings might refute the party line -- this is the machinery of mendacity...The point here is not the hypocrisy involved, though that is egregious. The point is the downgrading of truth and honesty from principles with universal meaning to partisan weapons to be sheathed or drawn as necessary. No wonder the Bush administration feels no compunction to honor the truth or seek it; it conceives truth as a tactic, valuable only insofar as it is useful against one's enemies." Russ Rymer
Rock & Roll:
I wish I had a lucky penny that would bring me enough money to buy Dylan Poems, Hendrix Jewelry at Auction .


On Monday, the rare cache of Dylan poems goes on the auction block in Christie's Rockefeller Center location, with an anticipated value of $60,000 to $80,000. It's the top item in a rock and pop memorabilia auction that also features a medallion worn by Jimi Hendrix at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival, rare lyrics written by Jim Morrison and an assortment of Beatles' items.
Wow... how great would this be to own one of the rare cache of Dylan poems... or to even own some of the "bling, bling" Hendrix wore... I would do anything to own a piece of paper Morrison wrote his lyrics own... the Beatles' were great musicians but I am not a huge fan like most...so who ever wants their items... they can have them (I will not be excepting hate mail for this comment).

Politics:
My favorite past time... well, to read about politics. I don't consider myself a political woman or an expert... but I do have my opinions... take them or leave them... feel free to agree or disagree anytime.

House Rejects Iraq Pullout After GOP Forces a Vote

Differences over policy on the Iraq war ignited an explosion of angry words and personal insults on the House floor yesterday when the chamber's newest member suggested that a decorated war veteran was a coward for calling for an immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops.
This pisses me off more than the following words can ever say... I wish I had been there... this "newest member" needs a fat lip and so does the "officer" who asked her to send congress a message. If they think he is a coward then all of the following links are cowards too... I dare for this "newest member" and "officer" to call these heroes cowards... Go ahead... look them in the eye and say it! I didn't think so....

http://www.veteransforpeace.org/
http://www.ivaw.net/
www.veteransforcommonsense.org/
thanks to Barbi at Eli Blake's blog for giving me these links

Like I have said before... "I honestly do not think we should pull our troops out all at one time. We need to clean up what we started. We need to gradually pull ourselves away. There are Iraqi people who are in dire need of us and we need to show them how to help themselves... and yes other countries need to help do their part, as well."


Murtha galvanized the debate as few others could have. He is a 33-year House veteran and former Marine colonel who received medals for his wounds and valor in Vietnam, and he has traditionally been a leading Democratic hawk and advocate of military spending.

...It was past 10 p.m. when Murtha addressed a relatively subdued House. Hunter's resolution "is not what I envisioned" because it avoids a broader debate of the war, which "is not going as advertised," Murtha said. "The American people are way ahead of us" in wanting a strategy to bring the troops home, he added. "It's easy to sit in your air-conditioned offices and send them into battle."

Brilliant man... enough said.


BTW... I have a date tonight with my "perfect man"... no not John Edwards or MJ (sorry I just had to throw you in)... my hubby. We are going to the movies to see a double feature.... "Walk the Line" and "Harry Potter"... I can't wait.... not only has it been a while since we had a "date"... I have been looking forward to seeing these movies for months. I'll let you know my reviews later on.


Until we meet again....

Posted by Girl on the Blog :: 8:38 AM :: 11 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------