**Girl on the Blog**

Sunday, December 11, 2005

...the pocket watch, the dirty gold star and me

To understand this post you will need to know Eugene. Please refer back to "His Name is Eugene" and "...his girl named Sue."
___________________________________

I had a brief encounter with, who I kindly refer to as, the heavyset lady. She let me know Eugene was in the wreck room/ study. Wreck room/ Study????

"It's round the corna and at the end of the hall." She agitatedly roared.

As I walked down the hallway, I couldn't help but notice that there were no pictures, paintings or anything on the walls, just the brilliant shade of grey. I couldn't help but feel a little depressed. I can only imagine how Eugene and his fellow comrades feel everyday living in this sea of "greyness". No wonder Eugene roams the streets. He needs to have a little color in his life.

I walked into the Wreck/ Study room. It smelled of sweat and body odor. As I looked around the room, I saw a white haired, elderly man sitting on an old discolored green couch in front of a 25-inch TV, watching what look to be some sort of western. There was an African American lost soul standing in front of a grimy window, gazing into his Never land. A dark haired middle-aged man sat on a drab red chair reading a magazine. Sitting behind a beat-up metal desk sat Eugene; his arms and head were lying on the desk as he faintly snored.

As I made my way over to Eugene I could feel his comrades eyes watching me.

I didn't want to startle Eugene so I tenderly patted his back and I softly echoed "Eugene. Eugene."

He raised his head and confusingly looked up at me. While looking at me he wiped the dribble from his mouth and chin.

"I'm sorry to wake ya, Eugene." I embarrassingly professed.

"Uhhh... that's okay." He answered back with sleepiness in his voice.

"Do ya rememba me?" I asked.

"Yes, mam. Yar the one with the boy."

I was so happy he remembered me I almost cried. "Yes, Eugene, I'm the one with the boy. I brought ya some Macaroni and Cheese for your lunch, like you requested."

He looked at me with a smile and said, "Ya remembered."

"Yes, sir, I did. I also brought ya a little somethin' else."

I handed him a small box.

"My wrappin' ain't the greatest. I'm good at a lot of things, but wrappin' ain't one of 'em." I lightly chuckled.

He looked at me with disbelief. "I...I...I..." he stuttered.

"Go ahead, open it." I encouraged.

With that his shaking fingers tore the horrible wrapping job off the gift.

He looked up at me and then back down at his gift. He got up from his chair and walked over to a window in the corner of the room. He left me standing at the desk not knowing what to say. I didn't know if he was happy, sad, angry, what have you. He just left me.

I walked over to him and distressingly asked, "Are ya okay, Eugene?"

He didn't respond. He continued to stare out the window. I didn't know if I had insulted him or if I had embarrassed him or if I had made him happy. He had retreated to his land far, far away and I didn't know what I had done to make him close his door.

With a deep sigh of awkwardness I avowed, "Okay, Eugene, I'll go. Merry Christmas."

As I was turning to walk away he raised his voice "Miss!"

I stopped in my tracks and turned towards him.

He reached into his left pocket and pulled out something very small. He extended his hand towards me. I walked over and picked up the tiny gesture out of his hand. It was a small dirty star pin. I'm not sure if it was his or something he collected off the street.

I smiled at him and he bashfully hung his head and timidly retorted, "I never had a pocket watch before."

"Well, now ya do Eugene." I softly replied.

With that he turned his head back towards the window and disappeared to his far away land. I stood there for a few minutes thinking he may start talking again. He never did.


This time he knew who I was "Yar the one with the boy". Next time I may be "his girl named Sue". All I know is that for one instant he traveled outside of his Never land and had a Merry Christmas with the pocket watch, the dirty gold star and me.



If anyone knows what this gold star represents please let me know. If it has anything to do with his rank, uniform, anything pertaining to his military career... I want to give it back to him. If it is just a pin... I'll keep it. It is not just a pin to me.


Until we meet again....



Permalink... http://girlontheblog.blogspot.com/2005/12/pocket-watch-dirty-gold-star-and-me.html

Posted by Girl on the Blog :: 1:59 PM :: 10 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------